Professor Douglas S. Bridges
Professor of Pure Mathematics (1999-)
B.Sc. (Hons), Edinburgh; M.Sc. Newcastle; Dip. Ed. Edinburgh;
D.Phil. Oxford; D.Sc. Oxford, FRSNZ, CorrFRSE
Department of Mathematics and Statistics
University of Canterbury
Private Bag 4800
Christchurch, NEW ZEALAND
Room 704, Erskine Building
Telephone: +64 3 364 2987 ext 7427
Fax: +64 3 364 2587
- Constructive foundations of:
- analysis: in particular, functional analysis (including Banach algebras and operator algebras), measure theory, operator theory,approximation theory, real and complex analysis;
- topology: the axiomatic theory of apartness between sets.
- Mathematical economics: the numerical representation of preference relations; demand functions; equilibrium theory; constructive methods.
- Computability and abstract complexity theory.
- Quantum logic and operator-theoretic foundations of physics.
Symposium on Topology and Analysis: Proof and Computation, Nov 29 – Dec 3
“Apartness and Uniformity: A Constructive Development ”, Douglas Bridges and L.S. Vîţă